Wednesday, November 22, 2006

WORLD OF MUSIC, ARTS, AND DANCE

WORLD OF MUSIC, ARTS, AND DANCE


When I was in Singapore last 2006, I should've been to the WOMAD festival at Fort Canning Park.
I wanted to go to WOMAD in the evening one day before our departure from Singapore. But we spent our energy during the day for a day-trip to Singapore Zoo. It was pretty far from where we stayed. We explored the zoo, which is located near a reservoir. By the time we got back we were too tired to spend the evening at WOMAD.



Festivals in the outdoors, and in the evening, is interesting. And world music, arts, and dance are best enjoyed live. I used to go to music concerts and be up-to-date with arts festivals and events. But not today. Maybe it's the effect of the traffic that's getting worse and me who's getting older? :-p Anyway there are so many things now that such things as going to music concerts or having a full body treatment (used to do it with girl friends) is almost impossible. We're all now occupied with other things.



Many people don't like (or maybe even hate) world music. I think world music is interesting, especially when enjoyed live. I might get bored if I listen to it for an hour from a CD, for example. That's why many times I spent some time browsing for world music CDs but never did buy any. Enjoying the performace live is different. The music feels more exotic and alive, affecting the atmosphere.


Image courtesy of saharadja.net

I remembered watching a live performance of Saharadja in Bali. Their music is a mixture of world/ethnic music, classical, and jazz. (You can listen to a few of their music clips on their official site.) You can book them to perform for your party. I think it will be great to have them perform in outdoor parties and events. As far as I know they only perform by reservation, and they only sell their CDs on the spot when they perform. Got one of the CDs.

1 comment:

Saharadja said...

Thanks for your support and appreciation. You can read the latest news of Saharadja on our website:
Newslttr nov eng : http://www.saharadja.net/news.php?news_id=18
You'll find the links to watch our videos on-line.
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year 2007
Saharadja